Woman Work, poetry by Maya Angelou

Image Credit:www.whitehouse.gov
Maya Angelou (April 4, 1928 – May 28, 2014) was a renowned American poet, writer, civil rights activist, singer, dancer and actress. Born Marguerite Annie Johnson in St. Louis, Missouri, Angelou had one older brother Bailey, Jr. She and Bailey were raised in Stamps, Arkansas by their paternal grandmother, Annie Henderson. For almost five years, young Marguerite became mute because she believed that her voice killed the man who sexually abused and raped her when he was released from prison. Although it was not publicized who murdered him, it was thought that Maya's uncles probably did. During her silence she developed extraordinary memory and a great love for books and literature.

Although she received international recognition and acclaim for her 1969 book, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, she was cited for publishing several books of poetry, three books of essays, seven autobiographies and received dozens of awards and more than 50 honorary degrees. In 1971, Angelou published the Pulitzer Prize nominated volume of poetry, Just Give Me a Cool Drink of Water 'Fore I Diiie: The Poetry of Maya Angelou.

To this date, she is one of only 5 poets to read at a presidential inauguration. In January 1993, she recited her poem, On the Pulse of Morning for the inauguration ceremony for President William "Bill" Clinton. Recently, Maya Angelou was honored with a Forever Stamp issued by the U.S. Postal Service. Her voice was an amazing contribution to the literary arts. Angelou died on May 28, 2014. As we celebrate National Poetry Month, please enjoy this poem Woman Work, by Maya Angelou.

Woman Work
By Maya Angelou

I've got the children to tend
The clothes to mend
The floor to mop
The food to shop
Then the chicken to fry
The baby to dry
I got company to feed
The garden to weed
I've got shirts to press
The tots to dress
The can to be cut
I gotta clean up this hut
Then see about the sick
And the cotton to pick.

Shine on me, sunshine
Rain on me, rain
Fall softly, dewdrops
And cool my brow again.

Storm, blow me from here
With your fiercest wind
Let me float across the sky
'Til I can rest again.

Fall gently, snowflakes
Cover me with white
Cold icy kisses and
Let me rest tonight.

Sun, rain, curving sky
Mountain, oceans, leaf and stone
Star shine, moon glow
You're all that I can call my own. 

Comments