Christmas Grace By Dwight L. Roth


What do you want for Christmas she asked
A chemistry set would be a real blast
When Christmas came, this angel of grace
Was at our door with every gift in place.
~
We were just poor preacher’s kids, our die was cast
Waiting for Christmas was always great task
But we knew our selected gift of choice 
Would make us shout from the top of our voice.
~
What do you want for Christmas this year
She would get it no need to fear
Just a hammer of my very own
Would make my day when you come to my home.
~
Money was scarce and gifts were few
But, at our house we always knew
That no matter what the circumstance
We need not worry about chance.
~
What do you want for Christmas this time
A Louisville slugger would suit me just fine
Then I could be like Henry and Don
A bat of my own yes, that’s the one.
~
Ruth and Edgar were one of a kind 
No children of their own they did not mind
Bringing smiles and joy to their preacher’s kids 
And that helmet they brought me surely did.
~
What do you want for Christmas, she asked
She never let a Christmas pass
Every year until I left home
My gifts of choice would become my own. 
~
I will never forget that act of Grace 
And the joy and smiles she brought to my face
I learned of God’s love and his saving grace
And his only son Jesus who took my place.
~
And now each Christmas I hear that voice
“What do you want for Christmas, it is your choice.”
There is nothing I need that will bring me more joy
Than the gift of God’s Grace to a little boy.


dwight l. roth, poetry by dwight roth, contributor to tea and poetry
Dwight L. Roth lives with his wife Ruth and together they have two sons and six grandchildren. Two afternoons a week are spent volunteering at the Habitat Restore in Monroe, where he fixes donated items that would otherwise have been thrown in the dumpster. He enjoys dabbling in many things including writing poetry, painting, playing the guitar & singing, song writing, writing on theology and politics, and gardening. Recently, he was offered his first commission for painting a mural as a Christmas gift, with the Harry Potter/Hobbit theme.

Dwight's poem is also posted on the Tea & Poetry Book Club Facebook, Twitter and Google+ pages. Feel free to LIKE the post after you liked the pages and leave a comment for Dwight if you wish to.

* Poem used with the permission of the poet. All rights reserved by the author.

Comments