Soldier Going To The War by Richard Le Gallienne

Celebrating Veterans Day!

Soldier Going To The War
By Richard Le Gallienne

Soldier going to the war - 
Will you take my heart with you,
So that I may share a little
In the famous things you do?

Soldier going to the war - 
If in battle you must fall,
Will you, among all the faces,
See my face the last of all?

Soldier coming from the war - 
Who shall bind your sunburnt brow
With the laurel of the hero,
Soldier, soldier - vow for vow!

Soldier coming from the war - 
When the street is one wide sea,
Flags and streaming eyes and glory - 
Soldier, will you look for me?

Richard Le Gallienne (January 20, 1866 – September 15, 1947) was an English author and poet born in Liverpool. He became a professional writer after abandoning his work in an accountant's office. His book, "My Ladies' Sonnets" appeared in 1887. In 1889, he became literary secretary to Wilson Barrett.

*This poem is found in public domain.

Comments