“Confetti” A Poem By Aishah Allah

On Saturday mornings, Get Lit Players come from all over the city of Los Angeles to recite and write poetry. These young poets share classic poems and recite their own creations at the Actor’s Gang in Culver City. They recite poems from centuries past with conviction. Get Lit brings out the poet, the reader, and the performer in each of the students.

Aishah Allah recites this emotional poem called “Confetti” that she composed and shared with the Git Lit audience.

Tea and Poetry wanted to share some of the creative poetry composed and performed by some of our talented young people. Enjoy!

"Confetti" By Aishah Allah
Confetti makes me sad
Colorful yet broken
I wish confetti were more like puzzle pieces
Easy to be put back together and perfect if no pieces are missing
But we can never be put back
Ripped down to shreds, living with regret, messy
Confetti makes me sad shooting in the air with flying colors at special occasions
But what happens when it’s over?
Stepped on, swept up, back to where you came from
Forgotten
Each individual piece scattered on the floor reminds me of my own brokenness
My confusions, my regrets
My life like these tiny pieces of paper will never be perfect
They say we’re all together in being alone
But they’ll say anything to make you feel like you belong
Confetti
If you could talk what would you say?
If you had a head, would it hang low or be held high?
If you could grow up what would you aspire to be?
Because I see so much of you in me
Confetti
You are not just a one-night stand
Or an explosion to get reaction only to be forgotten
You had potential
You could have been a card for a sick grandmother lying in her deathbed
A love letter from a lonely soldier to his wife and six kids
A paper airplane for a cancer patient
Song lyrics for a suicidal teen on the verge of forever
You could have been sheet of paper
But you let them decide
And they said you look better in bits
So they ripped and ripped and ripped
Waiting for your refusal but you were silent
Confetti you were silenced
But now that you are broken, don’t let the wind push you around
Plant your pieces on the ground
Make magic of your smithereens
Let them know you were once a tree
Because your branches are still branches to me
Confetti
My earth quakes when you fall to the ground
Pick yourself up when no ones around
Force your pieces into a smile
Inspire
Like you have inspired me
I am the person you didn’t get to be
So I’ll walk around with an a.k.a and a nametag that says, “confetti is my name”
And I will wear it proudly
Oh! I will wear it with no shame
C-O-N-F-E-T-T-I, confetti

Comments